WASHINGTON, June 12. /TASS/. U.S. officials have been informed that Israel is fully prepared to launch an operation in Iran, CBS News reported, citing "several sources." The U.S. President's special envoy Steve Witkoff is still planning to meet with Iran in the coming days for the sixth round of talks on the country's nuclear program, it said.
"The U.S. anticipates that Iran could retaliate by striking some U.S. facilities in neighboring Iraq. This is one of the reasons why the US has advised some Americans to leave the region," the television station said on its website.
A representative of US military circles earlier told TASS that Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth had authorized the "voluntary departure" of US military personnel from the Middle East for security reasons. The State Department, in turn, has ordered the departure of US government personnel from Iraq, which is not necessary, due to heightened tensions in the region. US President Donald Trump, commenting on the moves, said Americans were advised to leave the region "because it can be a dangerous place, and we'll see what happens." He also noted that the US does not want Iran to develop a nuclear weapon. "We will not allow that," Trump stressed.
In recent weeks, the Washington administration has worried that Israel is preparing a strike on Iran despite ongoing negotiations over Tehran's nuclear programme. Axios news agency previously reported, citing its sources, that US President Donald Trump told Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in a telephone conversation on June 9 to refrain from any action that could make negotiations more difficult.
TASS/gnews.cz-jav